World’s Largest Alternative Asset Manager
Blackstone is the world’s largest alternative asset manager with investment businesses spanning private equity, real estate, credit and hedge fund solutions. We remain committed to delivering strong performance across market cycles on behalf of pension funds, institutions and individual investors.1
Why Blackstone Real Estate
We are the world’s largest buyer, seller and owner of commercial real estate. Our vast portfolio provides us with proprietary insights across sectors and geographies.1
Since 1991, Blackstone has built the world’s preeminent global real estate business and delivered strong returns for our opportunistic investors across market cycles.
NET IRR ACROSS 30+ YEARS2
We believe our scale and reputation enable us to execute large, complex transactions with speed and certainty at attractive pricing.
BREIT adheres to the same disciplined investment and asset management processes that have been utilized by the Blackstone Real Estate funds for decades.
Proprietary data insights emanating from our portfolio companies inform real-time decision making.
PORTFOLIO COMPANIES WITH 65k+ EMPLOYEES5
Industrial Square Feet
Rental Housing Units, Sites, Homes
Office Square Feet
Owned Hotel Keys
Retail Square Feet
Self Storage Square Feet
Data Centers Square Feet
Past performance does not guarantee future results. Financial information is approximate and as of February 28, 2023, unless otherwise noted. The words “we”, “us”, and “our” refer to BREIT, together with its consolidated subsidiaries, including BREIT Operating Partnership L.P. (the “Operating Partnership”), unless the context requires otherwise.
This material makes reference to Blackstone Inc. (“Blackstone”), a premier global investment manager. The real estate group of Blackstone, Blackstone Real Estate, is our sponsor and an affiliate of BX REIT Advisors L.L.C. (the “Adviser”). Information regarding Blackstone and Blackstone Real Estate is included to provide information regarding the experience of our sponsor and its affiliates. An investment in BREIT is not an investment in our sponsor or Blackstone as BREIT is a separate and distinct legal entity.
- World’s largest owner of commercial real estate based on estimated market value per Real Capital Analytics, as of December 31, 2022. World’s largest buyer and seller reflects transaction volume since January 1, 2010. A copy of the source materials of such data will be provided upon request. Blackstone is a premier global investment manager.
- As of December 31, 2022. Net IRR reflects a composite or combined calculation. See “Important Disclosure Information-Aggregated Returns”, “-Important Disclosure About Other Blackstone Real Estate Funds” and “-Performance Calculation of Blackstone’s Opportunistic Real Estate Private Equity Funds”.
- As of December 31, 2022. Represents the total real estate value of all drawn, closed and committed investments in Blackstone’s opportunistic real estate private equity funds, core+ real estate private equity funds, and the Blackstone real estate debt funds plus dry powder. There can be no assurance that committed but not yet closed transactions will close as expected or at all.
- Reflects Blackstone Real Estate employees as of December 31, 2022.
- Represents Blackstone Real Estate’s global portfolio companies and employees as of December 31, 2022.
- All figures reflect Blackstone Real Estate U.S. holdings as of December 31, 2022. There can be no assurance that any Blackstone fund or investment will achieve its objectives or avoid substantial losses. In addition to wholly-owned assets, figures include leased assets, collateral, assets managed through stakes in publicly-traded companies and assets owned through joint-ventures.
Important Disclosure Information
Alternative investments often are speculative, typically have higher fees than traditional investments, often include a high degree of risk and are appropriate only for eligible, long-term investors who are willing to forgo liquidity and put capital at risk for an indefinite period of time. They may be highly illiquid and can engage in leverage and other speculative practices that may increase volatility and risk of loss.
Alternative investments involve complex tax structures, tax inefficient investing, and delays in distributing important tax information. Individual funds have specific risks related to their investment programs that will vary from fund to fund. Investors should consult their own tax and legal advisors as Dealers generally do not provide tax or legal advice. REITs are generally not taxed at the corporate level to the extent they distribute all of their taxable income in the form of dividends. Ordinary income dividends are taxed at individual tax rates and distributions may be subject to state tax. Each investor’s tax considerations are different and consulting a tax advisor is recommended. Any of the data provided herein should not be construed as investment, tax, accounting or legal advice.
Interests in alternative investment products are distributed by the applicable Dealer and (1) are not FDIC-insured, (2) are not deposits or other obligations of such Dealer or any of its affiliates, and (3) are not guaranteed by such Dealer and its affiliates. Each Dealer is a registered broker-dealer, not a bank.
Aggregated Returns. The calculation of combined or composite net IRR/net returns pertaining to Blackstone’s opportunistic real estate private equity funds takes the aggregate limited partner cash flows by actual date from inception of the strategy through the current quarter end and uses the terminal value (including unrealized investments) as of the current quarter end to comprise an overall return for the strategy. The actual realized returns on the unrealized investments used in this calculation may differ materially from the returns indicated herein. In addition, the actual returns of each Blackstone fund, account or investment vehicle included in such combined or composite returns may be higher or lower than the Aggregated Returns presented. Furthermore, no limited partner has necessarily achieved the combined or composite returns presented in such performance information, because a limited partner’s participation in the applicable funds, accounts and/or investment vehicles may have varied. See “Performance Calculation of Blackstone’s Opportunistic Real Estate Private Equity Funds” and “Important Disclosure About Other Blackstone Real Estate Funds”.
Important Disclosure About Other Blackstone Real Estate Funds. This material includes information related to prior investments Blackstone Real Estate has made, in which BREIT will not have any interest. Prospective investors should note that the investment programs, objectives, leverage policies and strategies of Blackstone’s opportunistic real estate private equity funds (the “Opportunistic Real Estate Private Equity Funds”), the Blackstone real estate debt funds (the “Real Estate Debt Funds”), and core+ real estate private equity funds (the “Core+ Real Estate Private Equity Funds”) are substantially different from the investment program and objectives of BREIT, despite each strategy focusing on making real estate-related investments. Specifically, the Opportunistic Real Estate Private Equity Funds invest in “opportunistic” real estate and real estate-related assets globally (which often are undermanaged assets and with higher potential for equity appreciation), the Real Estate Debt Funds invest in debt investments including mezzanine loans, liquid securities, mortgages and corporate credit, the Core+ Real Estate Private Equity Funds invest in substantially stabilized real estate across office, rental housing, industrial, retail and life science office sectors, with a focus on the major global markets and total return, whereas BREIT is a publicly registered non-listed perpetual-life REIT that generally targets primarily stabilized income-generating commercial real estate investments across asset classes in the United States and, to a lesser extent real estate debt investments, with a focus on current return. The information provided herein regarding the Opportunistic Real Estate Private Equity Funds, the Real Estate Debt Funds, and the Core+ Real Estate Private Equity Funds is, therefore, provided solely for background purposes.
Performance Calculation of Blackstone’s Opportunistic Real Estate Private Equity Funds
See “Important Disclosure About Other Blackstone Real Estate Funds” for more information about Blackstone’s opportunistic real estate private equity funds to which the below calculation pertains.
Net IRR is calculated at the Blackstone’s opportunistic real estate private equity fund (“Fund”) level using amounts drawn or called from investors as outflows, amounts distributed to investors as inflows, and the fair value of the Fund’s unrealized investments at the end of the indicated period (as determined by Blackstone) as inflows. Net IRR therefore reflects returns after taking into account, as applicable, management fees, fund fees, organizational expenses, partnership-level expenses, the general partner’s allocation of profit and servicing fees, but before certain taxes and withholdings. Net IRR of a Fund does not include, if applicable, amounts associated with the general partner commitment or Blackstone employee side-by-side program, which do not bear fees or carried interest and therefore generate higher returns than the Fund to which they relate.
Any IRR is a function of the length of time from the initial outflow to the ultimate inflow (or hypothetical inflow), in each case, as described herein. For a given dollar amount invested and holding values constant, the IRR decreases as the investment holding period increases. Actual realized value of a Fund’s unrealized investments may differ materially from the values used to calculate the IRRs reflected herein. In addition, IRR is calculated based on the due date and amount of capital contributions from limited partners, not the timing or amount of Fund-level borrowings such as the subscription line of credit; as a result, use of Fund level-borrowings will impact calculations of returns and will result in a higher or lower reported IRR than if the amounts borrowed had instead been funded through capital contributions made by the limited partners to the Fund. Individual investors in the Funds have not necessarily experienced the performance described herein. The management fees or fund fees (as applicable) paid by investors differ, in some cases materially, from those paid by other investors due to, among other factors, fee holidays and fee breaks for investors committing by certain dates or at or above specified amounts. In addition, certain investors may be admitted to the Fund at different times and, accordingly, contribute capital later than other investors (and pay carrying costs related thereto), and may pay investor servicing fees to the manager. Finally, different alternative investment vehicles, feeder funds and other vehicles through which investors make individual investments may bear different taxes and otherwise have different effective tax rates. For all of these reasons and others, performance for individual investors varies from the performance stated herein. Further information regarding performance calculations is available upon request.
Summary of Risk Factors
BREIT is a non-listed REIT that invests primarily in stabilized income-generating commercial real estate investments across asset classes in the United States and, to a lesser extent, real estate debt investments, with a focus on current income. We invest to a lesser extent in countries outside of the U.S. This investment involves a high degree of risk. You should purchase these securities only if you can afford the complete loss of your investment. You should read the prospectus carefully for a description of the risks associated with an investment in BREIT. These risks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- There is no public trading market for our common stock and repurchase of shares by us will likely be the only way to dispose of your shares. We are not obligated to repurchase any shares under our share repurchase plan and may choose to repurchase only some, or even none, of the shares that have been requested to be repurchased. In addition, repurchases will be subject to available liquidity and other significant restrictions. Further, our board of directors may make exceptions to, modify or suspend our share repurchase plan. As a result, our shares should be considered as having only limited liquidity and at times may be illiquid.
- Distributions are not guaranteed and may be funded from sources other than cash flow from operations, including borrowings, offering proceeds, the sale of our assets and repayments of our real estate debt investments. We have no limits on the amounts we may fund from such sources.
- The purchase and repurchase price for shares of our common stock are generally based on our prior month’s net asset value (“NAV”) and are not based on any public trading market. While there will be independent annual appraisals of our properties, the appraisal of properties is inherently subjective, and our NAV may not accurately reflect the actual price at which our properties could be liquidated on any given day. The NAV per share, if calculated as of the date on which you make your subscription request or repurchase request, may be significantly different than the transaction price you pay or the repurchase price you receive. Certain of our investments or liabilities are subject to high levels of volatility from time to time and could change in value significantly between the end of the prior month as of which our NAV is determined and the date that you acquire or repurchase our shares, however the prior month’s NAV per share will generally continue to be used as the offering price per share and repurchase price per share.
- We are dependent on BX REIT Advisors L.L.C. (the “Adviser”) to conduct our operations. The Adviser will face conflicts of interest as a result of, among other things, the allocation of investment opportunities among us and Other Blackstone Accounts (as defined in BREIT’s prospectus), the allocation of time of its investment professionals and the substantial fees that we will pay to the Adviser.
- On acquiring shares, you will experience immediate dilution in the net tangible book value of your investment.
- There are limits on the ownership and transferability of our shares.
- If we fail to qualify as a REIT and no relief provisions apply, our NAV and cash available for distribution to our stockholders could materially decrease.
- We do not own the Blackstone name, but we are permitted to use it as part of our corporate name pursuant to a trademark license agreement with an affiliate of Blackstone Inc. (“Blackstone”). Use of the name by other parties or the termination of our trademark license agreement may harm our business.
Local, regional, or global events such as war (e.g., Russia/Ukraine), acts of terrorism, public health issues like pandemics or epidemics (e.g., COVID-19), recessions, or other economic, political and global macro factors and events could lead to a substantial economic downturn or recession in the U.S. and global economies and have a significant impact on BREIT and its investments. The recovery from such downturns is uncertain and may last for an extended period of time or result in significant volatility, and many of the risks discussed herein associated with an investment in BREIT may be increased.
Certain information contained in this material has been obtained from sources outside Blackstone, which in certain cases has not been updated through the date hereof. While such information is believed to be reliable for purposes used herein, no representations are made as to the accuracy or completeness thereof and none of Blackstone, its funds, nor any of their affiliates takes any responsibility for, and has not independently verified, any such information. This information involves a number of assumptions and limitations, and you are cautioned not to give undue weight to these estimates.
Opinions expressed reflect the current opinions of BREIT as of the date appearing in the materials only and are based on BREIT’s opinions of the current market environment, which is subject to change. Stockholders, financial professionals and prospective investors should not rely solely upon the information presented when making an investment decision and should review the most recent prospectus, as supplemented, available at www.breit.com. Certain information contained in the materials discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends, or other broad-based economic, market or political conditions and should not be construed as research or investment advice.
All rights to the trademarks and/or logos presented herein belong to their respective owners and Blackstone’s use hereof does not imply an affiliation with, or endorsement by, the owners of these logos.
Clarity of text on this website may be affected by the size of the screen on which it is displayed.
This website contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws and the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as “outlook,” “indicator,” “believes,” “expects,” “potential,” “continues,” “identified,” “may,” “will,” “should,” “seeks,” “approximately,” “predicts,” “intends,” “plans,” “estimates,” “anticipates”, “confident,” “conviction” or other similar words or the negatives thereof. These may include financial estimates and their underlying assumptions, statements about plans, objectives, intentions, and expectations with respect to positioning, including the impact of macroeconomic trends and market forces, future operations, repurchases, acquisitions, future performance and statements regarding identified but not yet closed acquisitions. Such forward-looking statements are inherently uncertain and there are or may be important factors that could cause actual outcomes or results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements. We believe these factors include but are not limited to those described under the section entitled “Risk Factors” in BREIT’s prospectus and annual report for the most recent fiscal year, and any such updated factors included in BREIT’s periodic filings with the SEC, which are accessible on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. These factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with the other cautionary statements that are included in this website (or BREIT’s public filings). Except as otherwise required by federal securities laws, we undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
Blackstone Securities Partners L.P. (“BSP”) is a broker-dealer whose purpose is to distribute Blackstone managed or affiliated products. BSP provides services to its Blackstone affiliates, not to investors in its funds, strategies or other products. BSP does not make any recommendation regarding, and will not monitor, any investment. As such, when BSP presents an investment strategy or product to an investor, BSP does not collect the information necessary to determine—and BSP does not engage in a determination regarding—whether an investment in the strategy or product is in the best interests of, or is suitable for, the investor. You should exercise your own judgment and/or consult with a professional advisor to determine whether it is advisable for you to invest in any Blackstone strategy or product. Please note that BSP may not provide the kinds of financial services that you might expect from another financial intermediary, such as overseeing any brokerage or similar account. For financial advice relating to an investment in any Blackstone strategy or product, contact your own professional advisor.
This website must be read in conjunction with BREIT’s prospectus in order to fully understand all the implications and risks of an investment in BREIT. Please refer to the prospectus for more information regarding state suitability standards and consult a financial professional for share class availability and appropriateness.
THIS IS NEITHER AN OFFER TO SELL NOR A SOLICITATION OF AN OFFER TO BUY THE SECURITIES DESCRIBED IN THE PROSPECTUS FOR THE OFFERING, AS AMENDED AND SUPPLEMENTED (THE “PROSPECTUS”). THE OFFERING IS MADE ONLY BY THE PROSPECTUS AND THIS MATERIAL MUST BE PRECEDED OR ACCOMPANIED BY THE PROSPECTUS. NEITHER THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION NOR ANY OTHER STATE SECURITIES REGULATOR HAS APPROVED OR DISAPPROVED OF THE SECURITIES OR DETERMINED IF THE PROSPECTUS IS TRUTHFUL OR COMPLETE. IN ADDITION, THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK HAS NOT PASSED ON OR ENDORSED THE MERITS OF THE OFFERING. ANY REPRESENTATION TO THE CONTRARY IS UNLAWFUL.