SUMMARY OF RISK FACTORS
Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc. (BREIT) is a non-traded REIT that seeks to invest in stabilized commercial real estate properties diversified by sector with a focus on providing current income.This investment involves a high degree of risk. You should purchase these securities only if you can afford the complete loss of your investment. You should read the prospectus carefully for a description of the risks associated with an investment in Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust. Some of these risks include but are not limited to the following:
- BREIT has no prior operating history and there is no assurance that we will achieve our investment objectives.
- Our initial offering is a “blind pool” offering and thus you will not have the opportunity to evaluate our investments before we make them.
- We do not intend to list our shares of common stock for trading on an exchange or other trading market. Since there is no public trading market for shares of our common stock, repurchase of shares by us will likely be the only way to dispose of your shares. Our share repurchase plan will provide stockholders with the opportunity to request that we repurchase their shares on a monthly basis, but we are not obligated to repurchase any shares and may choose to repurchase only some, or even none, of the shares that have been requested to be repurchased in any particular month in our discretion. In addition, repurchases will be subject to available liquidity and other significant restrictions. Further, our board of directors may modify, suspend or terminate our share repurchase plan if it deems such action to be in our best interest and/or the best interest of our stockholders. As a result, our shares should be considered as having only limited liquidity and at times may be illiquid.
- We cannot guarantee that we will make distributions, and if we do, we may fund such distributions from sources other than cash flow from operations, including, without limitation, the sale of assets, borrowings, return of capital or offering proceeds, and we have no limits on the amounts we may pay from such sources.
- After the escrow period, the purchase and repurchase price for shares of our common stock will generally be based on our prior month’s NAV and will not be based on any public trading market. We may offer shares at a price that we believe reflects the NAV per share of such stock more appropriately than the prior month’s NAV per share, including by updating a previously disclosed offering price, in cases where we believe there has been a material change (positive or negative) to our NAV per share since the end of the prior month. While there will be independent annual appraisals of our properties, the appraisal of properties is inherently subjective, and our NAV may not accurately reflect the actual price at which our assets could be liquidated on any given day.
- We have no employees and are dependent on BX REIT Advisors L.L.C. (the “Advisor”) to conduct our operations. The Advisor will face conflicts of interest as a result of, among other things, the allocation of investment opportunities among us and other Blackstone accounts, the allocation of time of its investment professionals and the substantial fees that we will pay to the Advisor.
- Our initial offering is a “best efforts” offering. If we are not able to raise a substantial amount of capital in the near term, our ability to achieve our investment objectives could be adversely affected.
- On acquiring shares, you will experience immediate dilution in the net tangible book value of your investment.
- There are limits on the ownership and transferability of our shares.
- We do not own the Blackstone name, but we are permitted to use it as part of our corporate name pursuant to a trademark license agreement with an affiliate of The Blackstone Group Inc. (together with its affiliates, “Blackstone”). Use of the name by other parties or the termination of our trademark license agreement may harm our business.
- While BREIT’s investment strategy is to invest in stabilized commercial real estate properties diversified by sector with a focus on providing current income to investors, an investment in BREIT is not an investment in fixed income. Fixed income has material differences from an investment in a non-traded REIT, including those related to vehicle structure, investment objectives and restrictions, risks, fluctuation of principal, safety, guarantees or insurance, fees and expenses, liquidity and tax treatment.
- We intend to qualify as a REIT for U.S. federal income tax purposes beginning with our taxable year ending December 31 in the year in which proceeds from this offering are released from escrow. However, if we fail to qualify as a REIT and no relief provisions apply, our NAV and cash available for distribution to our stockholders could materially decrease.
- The acquisition of investment properties may be financed in substantial part by borrowing, which increases our exposure to loss. The use of leverage involves a high degree of financial risk and will increase the exposure of the investments to adverse economic factors.
- Investing in commercial real estate assets involves certain risks, including but not limited to: tenants’ inability to pay rent; increases in interest rates and lack of availability of financing; tenant turnover and vacancies; and changes in supply of or demand for similar properties in a given market.
BREIT will directly own private real estate assets. Any references to “private real estate” and “direct ownership” is referring to the BREIT strategy. Individual investors will own shares of common stock in BREIT as opposed to direct ownership of private, non-traded real estate assets.
Numerical data is approximate and as of December 31, 2017. The words “we”, “us”, and “our” refer to Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, Inc., together with its consolidated subsidiaries, including BREIT Operating Partnership L.P. (the “Operating Partnership”), a Delaware limited partnership of which we are the general partner, unless the context requires otherwise. Numerical data relating to Blackstone includes activities of Blackstone Real Estate’s public and private portfolio companies (unless otherwise noted).
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE ABOUT OTHER BLACKSTONE REAL ESTATE FUNDS
This website includes information related to prior investments Blackstone Real Estate has made, in which BREIT will not have any interest. Prospective investors should note that the investment programs, objectives, leverage policies and strategies of Blackstone’s opportunistic real estate private equity funds (the “Opportunistic Real Estate Equity Funds”), the Blackstone real estate debt funds (the “Real Estate Debt Funds”), and core+ real estate private equity funds (the “Core+ Real Estate Equity Funds”) are substantially different from the investment program and objectives of BREIT, despite each strategy focusing on making real estate-related investments. Specifically, the Opportunistic Real Estate Equity Funds invest in “opportunistic” real estate and real estate-related assets globally (which often are undermanaged assets and with higher potential for equity appreciation), the Real Estate Debt Funds primarily make real estate-related debt investments on an opportunistic basis and globally, and the Core+ Real Estate Equity Funds invest in “core+” real estate and real estate-related assets in the United States and Canada (which are generally substantially stabilized assets generating relatively stable cash flow, with a focus on office, multifamily, industrial and retail assets in major U.S. markets), whereas BREIT will generally target primarily stabilized income-oriented commercial real estate in the United States and to a lesser extent real estate-related securities. The information provided herein regarding the Opportunistic Real Estate Equity Funds, the Real Estate Debt Funds, and the Core+ Real Estate Equity Funds is, therefore, provided solely for background purposes.
FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENT DISCLOSURE
This website contains forward-looking statements about our business, including, in particular, statements about our plans, strategies and objectives. You can generally identify forward-looking statements by our use of forward-looking terminology such as “may,” “will,” “seek,” “expect,” “intend,” “anticipate,” “estimate,” “believe,” “continue” or other similar words. These statements include our plans and objectives for future operations, including plans and objectives relating to future growth and availability of funds, and are based on current expectations that involve numerous risks and uncertainties. Assumptions relating to these statements involve judgments with respect to, among other things, future economic, competitive and market conditions and future business decisions, all of which are difficult or impossible to accurately predict and many of which are beyond our control. Although we believe the assumptions underlying the forward-looking statements, and the forward-looking statements themselves, are reasonable, any of the assumptions could be inaccurate and, therefore, there can be no assurance that these forward-looking statements will prove to be accurate and our actual results, performance and achievements may be materially different from that expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. In light of the significant uncertainties inherent in these forward looking statements, the inclusion of this information should not be regarded as a representation by us or any other person that our objectives and plans, which we consider to be reasonable, will be achieved.
You should carefully review the “Risk Factors” section of our prospectus for a discussion of the risks and uncertainties that we believe are material to our business, operating results, prospects and financial condition. Except as otherwise required by federal securities laws, we do not undertake to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
This website must be read in conjunction with the prospectus in order to fully understand all the implications and risks of the offering of securities to which it relates. This website is neither an offer to sell nor a solicitation of an offer to buy securities. An offering is made only by the prospectus.
Neither the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Attorney General of the State of New York nor any other state securities regulator has approved or disapproved of these securities or determined if the prospectus is truthful or complete. Any representation to the contrary is a criminal offense.